Thursday, February 13, 2014

open blog 5



Can’t Control Who You Love
           
          Discussing topics about LGBTQ can be such a touchy subject. Most times, people will just nod or shake their head and say “uhuhh” when others are talking about gays or lesbians. The subject of LGBTQ personally touches my heart. Personally, I am 100 % supportive to gays. I believe you do not control who you like and that a person should not be put to shame for liking the same sex. Also, it is not any of your personal business if someone likes their same sex. It is their love life not yours, so support it or stay out. I come from a very religious family so supporting gays is looked down upon not because my family hate gays but because they think it goes against the religion. I do not care if my family looks down upon me for that because I feel supporting LGBTQ is the right thing to do.
             
          In my high school LGBTQ students were not supported. They were that kid at recess left out at dodge ball. Students did the two worst possible things to LGBTQ students- criticize and shun. One of these negative aspects is hard enough on an individual. Students in my high school would make inside jokes about the gays in my school. They had no resistance going up to the LGBTQ student and crucifying them in cruel words. Besides ripping apart a LGBTQ student, other students would exclude this person from activities. No one really wanted to have a gay in their group. The teachers ignored the hatred toward LGBTQ students. The administration knew there was bullying of LGBTQ students, but never really put a stop to it. I questioned how could I go to a Catholic school and not only the students, but also administration ignore the problem of LGBTQ being ripped apart and ignored. I think one main reason why the administration at my school never solved issues of LGBTQ being bullied was because they were not up to the times. My school was very old fashioned. I think the administration did not want to be looked down upon by the church for supporting gays. Of course my presumption could be wrong but my school never even brought up the LGBTQ community. The lack of the school talking about this not only made them blind to the LGBTQ community but was a great excuse for not letting students be educated on LGBTQ.
             
       Seeing how hostile students were to LGBTQ students is hearting breaking. My friend was gay and he constantly got made fun of. He did not care though. He knew he was fabulous and successful. Coming to John Carroll I was so surprised how supportive not only the students but administration was to LGBTQ students. There is a club for LGBTQ students and this is a Jesuit school. I find it so cool that at JCU students do not judge person if they are gay. After all, they are the same bone and flesh as we are. Overall, I would love it if society would accept LGBTQ students but probably will never be completely possible. I think all schools should have programs informing students about LGBTQs’ and how as a whole we should accept them. Schools should show the harmful effects of bullying gays. It truly can affect their health and lead to suicide. I think having a program to inform students is an easy and lesson that will stick with them for the rest of their life. Lastly, keep in mind just because someone does not think like the “normal” does not mean they are any way less than a human then us.

 Here are some website or organizations informing or supporting GLBTQ!
http://www.glad.org/  (advocates and defenders)
http://www.glma.org/ ( medical support)
http://www.glnh.org/ ( support in general) 



No comments:

Post a Comment