Thursday, February 6, 2014

Blog 4

Color Means Nothing


      Whether we like it or not, racism is everywhere and will never go away. It is so disturbing knowing that judging someone because of their skin color, religion, class. etc will never go away. It is one thing to be racist/discriminate individually but when this comes into a sanction or institution , it is a power house. From class discussion and reading, I think institutional racism is being prejudice, ignoring, mistreating a certain individual/ group as a institution. This is juts not one person being mean and ignorant. It is a whole staff/workers/students being racist as one.

     In Educational Foundations on page 44, Nieto states " institutional discrimination generally refers to how people are excluded or deprived of rights or opportunities as a result of normal operations of institution." I believe part of institutional racism connects with institutional racism. A institution may be racist but on top of that seclude those who they are racist to. Racism as a institutional system implies that some groups benefit and others lose. For example, let's take the the entire public school system of Ohio. Inner school school systems are lacking. Many suburbs public schools are thriving. The cities spend different money on these schools. In my opinion people are worried about keeping the suburb schools up to date and always the best. Many from these schools assume why give inner city schools supplies or founding when they wont put it to use. As a whole we are being racist to a certain group. On page 44 of the book, Ray McDermott filmed a classroom and found the white male teacher made more eye contact with white kids rather then black kids. It is questionable on what his intention was. Was he being racist, not used to a different color, or just have bad teaching skills. The school should evaluate and inform teachers on how to act. In particular schools should teach their staff about not being racist, prejudice,etc. If violated the staff member should immediately get fired. If a institution really stresses about not being racist, I truly think the racism level will go down.

    Lastly, I have witnessed much racism in my previous schools. I come from a wealthy, predominately white community. There is not much diversity in my home town. My town is in this rich suburban bubble. Everyone knows each other and have many of the same interest. I cannot say all the people in my town are like this but many are. I have observed my town as a whole really does have some racism to it. The community is so used to wealthy white people, if they see someone not like that they assume that they are a visitor or an exception. I don't know how this perception started but it just kept on growing. Finally I went to a predominately white, private high school. There was not many people not being white. If there was they were either "cool" or "uncool". Many students in my high school treated non- white athletes like kings. They wanted to be friends with that person. But if you were not white and did not play a sport, in a sense you were ignored and secluded. It was very sad to watch. I tried to never ignore anyone because of their color. But the students in my school as a whole were already so used to this horrible way. Overall, I think society really needs to crack down on institutional racism.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment