Wednesday, March 12, 2014

blog 7



Balance and Clarity
                Having a teacher can be a hit or miss. The teacher can hit a home run or be stuck at home base. Personally, when I was in school, the teaching style was very typical. I sat in a seat all day and listened to the teacher gawk all class. Most of the time I did not retain the information she said and would have to re-teach myself the lesson from that day. Since observing Mercer, Beachwood and Orange schools, I have noticed there is a big push for learning that is out of the box. This means teachers can teach in different ways like hands on work, going out into the real world, using technology and many other forms. The only problem with this great progress in learning is BALANCE and CLARITY. In To Teach, chapter 7 on page shows a comic for balance and clarity. The teacher is shown thinking “There are thousands of creative ideas for dynamic teaching.” Then the comic shows the teacher very frazzled thinking, “Teachers are typically trapped in the role of passive recipients of ideas then active creators.”  Lastly, the teacher is shown with much confusion in his head looking at a student. He is saying in his head, “the struggle is not to stock pile ideas but to find the core values that define the classroom life.”
                I think the significance of this comic strip is to show there are so many different innovative ways to teach, but to not take it over board. I believe sticking with a few out of the box teaching styles will really help students retain knowledge and eager to learn. On the other hand, I think using to many innovative or different teaching methods can confuse students. Having to many teaching methods does not set a pattern. Every time a new learning method is constantly being used, the students will have to re-program themselves which can take much time. Teachers need to be clear with their teaching ways and balance it out so that the kids can be taught with a few innovative teaching styles but easily comprehend the style and not feel overwhelmed.
                If I were a teacher, I would no doubt use retaining learning styles but not go overboard. In the beginning of the year I would find what learning styles the student’s best adapt to and are eager to learn. I would use the selected teaching methods and make a pattern out of them so that the students will not feel pressured to learn in a different style every lesson. My teaching methods would be out of the box, yet simple and sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment