Sunday, March 2, 2014

Orange HS



Orange High School
              

              Walking into orange high school felt like walking into a kingdom. There was a vast amount of space and openness. Pictures of students and clubs filled the hallway walls. I was very surprised on how up to date the school library was. Computers were very abundant and there was freedom with different places or couches to sit. I noticed there was much diversity in the library. There was even a librarian or worker helping a disabled student. Walking to Mrs. Marwaha’s honors English 1, a student dropped his art supply box and immediately two students rushed up to help him.
                 
                Walking into the class the student did not even greet or look at me. I observed they had cellphones on their desk and I was shocked. Then once I was sitting at a table I asked a student if they were allowed to have phones in class. She replied” aw are you new here? And yes we are allowed to have them on our desk but not use them.” I don’t really think I look like a freshmen in high school but I was astonished that the kids did not use their cellphones even though they were on their desk. The classroom had normal desks all aligned and hand created posters on the wall. I couldn’t help but notice EVERY single girl in the class had ugg boots on. The students were working on a project and the teacher individually came around to look at their work. I thought this was very personal and time consuming. She was very blunt and straight forward with her feedback. Also, Mrs. Marwaha would say things like “that is incorrect, try this.” She repeated “do not make the title of the book the title of your paper.” Then five minutes later she said, “for the 100th time do not make your title the title of the book.” When she spoke it was very brief and simple. Also, the teacher was very big on time and efficiency. It was “chop chop” in her class. The atmosphere was very relaxing but the students were busy digging their nose into work. The students did not ever argue with the teacher. Mrs. Marwaha did recognize students if they did an outstanding job.
               
                Due to the students working on their own, I could not see an actual lesson being taught. Overall, I thought Orange HS was your “typical” high school. There is nothing negative to say about the school but nothing really stood out as innovating or out of the box. I’m sure there is this but I would have to observe the school for a longer period of time. I realized high school is not really fun in games though and is preparing a student for college. Lastly, Orange HS may have looked plain but hard working minds were flowing everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment