Thursday, January 23, 2014

Eyes of Opposite



 
 
       
       On 1/23/24 at 6pm, I observed the JCU cafeteria with my classmate/friend Kevin.


                     Objectves                                                                   Interpretations                                
 Alex (me):
  • People eat in big groups                                               Eat in large groups to feel comfortable
  • Rarely is there 2 or less people eating at a table           Not completely independent
  • Most boys drink soda                                                    Soda is the new water but unhealthy
  •  Most girls eat salad                                                      Want to be skinny/healthy
  • People eating alone wear coats                                     May be in a rush/cold             
  • Left side of caf. much more quiet                                 Smaller and not a lot of food by it
  • Tables are either very loud or quiet                               Depends on personalities
  • People leave there trash at tables                                   Lazy
  • Those who sit alone stare at their phone                       Security blanket or bored
  • Music is loud                                                                 School may not realize how loud
  • Girls stare at other girls                                                 Use to jealous girls from HS
Kevin:
  • Big room,square & circle tables                                    Not used to large caf
  • Many soda machines, not a lot of water                         In France no soda, it's unhealthy
  • Many people wear hats                                                  Cold but in France don't wear hats
  • Many black people                                                         Not used to seeing black people
  • Much noise                                                                     People socializing
  • See snow from windows                                                Observation
  • Pictures in caf.                                                                Makes more interesting
  • Middle food area looks like French kitchen                   Use to seeing French kitchens

        
       I never really noticed how different I saw see things from others. After comparing Kevin and my observations, I realized I observe more on an emotional base. I was always told " never judge a book by it's cover" so I look beyond the description of something. I look at the emotion or character. When told to describe something, no doubt I lack physically describing the setting. For example, say there is a girl wearing a pink dress. If told to describe I would never say she is in a pink dress, I would say what emotion appears. I would say that describing with emotion based is not a bad thing but does not give a clear factual picture. Kevin, on the other hand described more of the setting. He described what the cafeteria looks like and the physical features of it or the people in it. Kevin is from France so he is used to such a different culture or perspective. I learned the French culture is much more blunt and not so friendly. Once he told me that my eyes opened to why he would not get deep into emotion when describing. Kevin and I really had no opposition to what we described. We described many similar things but we both mentioned things the other did not.
    
     From observing and comparing I learned many things. My way to view something is not always going to be the "common" or way everyone else looks at something. By listening to someones observations/interpretations, I actually learned about them and where they were actually coming for. This activity also helped me to to realize I need to sharpen up on my physical setting descriptions!

No comments:

Post a Comment