Thursday, January 30, 2014

Blog 3 and Off Campus Classroom Expierence

Ponder That

       I never knew what intrigued me into wanting to go in the teaching field. Although I hope to be a speech therapist, I want to work in a school system. With this I have to have to have some back round in education. When reading To Teach: the journey in comics, I was very fascinated with chapter 1 The Journey Begins. In this chapter it shows a male teacher in difficult situations with his students but also uplifting situations. One situation the teacher sees paint and art work all over the floor. Of course the kid does not take the blame. But in another scenario, the teacher helps Jose find an interest of sharing about skateboarding. This chapter made me formulate the question "what does it take to be a teacher?" Can anyone just teacher? Or do you have to have a burning passion for it? Do you have to go above and beyond or just teach at the standard level? Is it just take one certain thing to be a teacher or many things?




Mercer Elementary

     From the outside Mercer Elementary looks like your typical school. But once I stepped inside of Mercer I was blown away. The school was so bright in colors and art work all over the walls. There was even a huge fish tank! The staff had such a great warmth to them. Everyone was so welcoming. The principle explained how Mercer is a International Baccalaureate World School. There mission statement is : we commit ourselves to educate and inspire students to develop critical and compassionate thinking.  With respect, tolerance, and understanding, we guide our students to be internationally minded, life-long, learners. The school has about 50/50 ratio of white children to black with also many Jewish kids.

     From the very start I saw Mercer was all about thinking and taking action. Mercer motivated their kids to learn what THEY  have interest in. Mercer is only a positive attitude school. During the announcements the students said the I.B. pledge, "Today I will try very hard to be Caring, Open-Minded, Balanced and Reflective.  Today I will do my best to be an Inquirer, a Thinker, a Communicator and a Risk-Taker.  Today I will aim to be Principled and Knowledgeable." There is no room for negativity there. Every classrooms walls were crammed with inspiring and motivational sayings. Art work filled the hall ways of key concepts on " who am I?, how can I care?,ect. Also on the wall was what type of learner each student was. Most of the kids were visual learners. Mercer showed much diversity. They even learn Mandarin Chinese. Under most of the English signs also was said in Mandarin.

     Lastly, the classroom experience was out of this world. The class rooms all had motivational sayings and art work plastered all over the walls. The teachers encouraged and welcomed me to come in. In the classroom they did not have desks. they were at tables. The students did much hand on, creative work. The kids had a balance of individual and group work. I was so surprised when Mrs. Smith told her class to " pack up their success." Normally teachers say " hurry up and put away your work." Much work was done on the computer so the student could work at their own level. In the group reading discussion the teacher used Cornell learning. I have never heard of this. It was so amazing because the students formed the main ideas into questions then into visual art work. My jaw dropped when the kids actually wanted to participate. They spoke soooooooo well. They formulated their answers with such intelligence. After the student said the answer the teacher always said " now put that in your own words." Also each day and on weekends the kids had to read 30 minutes a day! Overall the classroom was such an accepting atmosphere. I left Mercer so happy because this school is dead on with their learning techniques. I wish I went to a school like this.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment